Interbike ’12: KEEN Harvest III Bag Series
Keep up to date with the Bike Shop Girl coverage of the 2012 Interbike Trade Show with coverage, previews, exclusives and interviews.
This Fall, KEEN launches the Harvest III Series - a one-of-a-kind collection, made in the USA from pre-consumer automobile airbags.
KEEN Harvest III Backpack
Harvest III Series is available in three bags and two wallet styles, including: Harvest III Backpack $120.00
Side impact bags have been collected, over-dyed for rich saturated color and upcycled into splendid totes, bags and wallets. Each item in the collection is hand-numbered underscoring both its uniqueness and hand craftsmanship.
The Story Behind the Making of Harvest III Bags
The step-by-step process of harvesting and transforming airbags into Harvest III bags requires both creativity and craftsmanship.
1. Left over, excess and obsolete airbags are shipped from an airbag manufacturer to a recycler in Salt Lake City.
2. The side-impact air bags are sorted at this facility and shipped to a factory in Chico, CA. The white bags are put aside to make the white colorways. The remaining bags are dyed and laundered at a dye house.
3. Then, the richly colored airbags are sorted and cut into the bag pattern pieces either by hand using a rotary knife or by die-cut machine.
4. All the pieces to make one specific style are gathered together and given to crafters to complete the product.
5. Once completed, each bag is then hand-numbered and signed by the one of the crafters who built it.