A popular question after cycling shorts and saddle recommendations is normally about chamois cream. If you haven’t heard about it before, don’t feel too left out it basically is under carriage lube.
Wait what? Yes, a cream you put between you and the shorts.
Why do I need Chamois Cream?
I go through spurts of not using chamois cream because I forget it or forget to buy new. Depending on my shorts, saddle and bike fit sometimes it is fine. Below you’ll find a list of reasons I recommend it!
- Prevents chaffing, keeping your skin from rubbing together or rubbing against your shorts/saddle
- Many creams have anti-bacterial in side of it
- Helps with shaving bumps and in grown hair
- Many creams have a cooling sensation that is helpful if you get hot spots or are simply warm down there on a hot day
What kind of Chamois Cream do I recommend?
This is tough, at the end I recommend to try different types and to figure out what ingredients you like. I’ve never had any rash or allergic reaction to any of the ones I recommend.
This is the original to me. I remember being 16 and the only other cycling girl I knew recommending it. It because ritual and the smell still reminds me of long rides. It has a cooling sensation which is also nice.
One of the first to make a “female specific” cream. I’ve used it, and can say I can’t tell a difference..it doesn’t seem to have such a cooling sensation and smells less medicated. I have also used the standard “guys” version which works just as well for me.
This is probably the most popular kind you’ll find in any bike shop. The standard version doesn’t cool as much, and I have been using the Eurostyle for the past few months. One nice thing about this type is they sell tubes of “sample” sizes to bike shops. I like these for folks trying out chamois butt’r for the first time, or for long rides to keep in your pocket!
How to Install Chamois Cream
I’ve heard so many ways to do this, either put it on your short before you put it on, or slather it all over yourself. I’ve tried putting it on the chamois and hated it. It made it feel like I was putting on a damp diaper.
- Try starting with a quarter size of cream, I’m a fan of the squirt bottles over the scoop style jars
- I personally put it in my butt crease, the groin crease and lightly on soft tissues that come in contact with my shorts
- Don’t over do it! Start small and see how much you need!
What do you do??
What do you like? What have you used? Chime in below!