Make sure to visit the sponsors of this posts.. Problem Solvers!
One concern that so many women (and guys) have with owning a bike is the basics of fixing it, or how to do basic road side repairs. I do recommend that as an avid cyclist even with some mechanical skills that you should become best buds with your local mechanic (beer or ice cream works well.) I also want women to feel empowered and to have a better idea of what they are talking about. Tech Tuesday is the remedy for common tech questions!
A few emails have come through since I started this series that interest of what tools I recommend to start their tool collection. While I have a large collection that is only missing a couple (very expensive and very unique) tools. Sometimes it is best to buy as you need, but if you find a good deal on a tool kit or a shop closing – jump on it!!! While most of the links below are affiliate links that I gain a very small commission, they are all products I use daily and recommend to all. If your local bike shop carries them, order it there!
These are the tools and accessories I recommend to anyone that owns a bike.
- Genuine Innovations Seat Bag and Flat Kit - Includes CO2 adapter, cartridges, tire levers and patch kit
- Small Multi-tool - Holding the major allen wrenches, and if you are a mountain biker have a torx for your disc brakes and SRAM XX
- Floor Pump – My goto pump is from Pedro, mine has lasted currently 8 years and thousands of bike repairs.
Testing Out the Waters
- A Repair Stand - The first thing that will make you feel like you are working on a bike like placing your bike in a repair stand. Get up off the garage floor.
- Full size allen wrenches – Don’t use the ball end to tighten as you’ll strip out the wrench or the bolt, but you won’t ever go back to using multi-tools for major servicing.
- Gear Brush - Maintenance starts with keeping that drivetrain clean!
- Lube - Make sure to lube your chain after cleaning it
- Grease - Grease and lube are very different. This goes on bolts (that don’t screw in to titanium or around carbon)