The popular balance bikes from Strider have received some updates. When I was over on Strider.com reading about the updates I also stumbled upon the Strider U.S. Championships!
Strider U.S. Championship Details
Save the Dates of July 13th and 14th for the 1st ever STRIDER U.S. Championship in STRIDERville (aka Rapid City, SD)!
Perfect timing for a family vacation to the beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota. Thirty minutes from Mt. Rushmore with lakes, single tracks, and loads of family fun abound. This race also qualifies you for the 3rd Annual STRIDER World Championship in Sarasota, Florida this October 11th-13th!
Registration will be $15 and will include a medal for all racers, a Strider shirt and other cool Strider items.
STRIDER World Cup Races will take place on 7/13/2013:
2 and under – 10am
3 year olds – 11am
4 year olds – 1pm
5 year olds – 2pm
Updated Strider ST-4 Details
Strider’s are my favorite thing to sell in a bike shop. Helping kids skip the training wheels (or lose the training wheels) and enjoy the freedom that two wheels gives you. Strider is on it’s 4th version, each one getting better and better. The latest ST-4 has many updates, a few of them I think will rock kids and parents.
• Holds the MSRP of $110
• Sealed bearings
• Powder coated finish
• Softer Grips
• More details
Looking for a Strider? JensonUSA has the ST-3 on sale!
The press release I received last night from Liv/giant was a long one (two pages long without photos.) As I started reading it, every paragraph was making me more giddy than the last. Why?
Liv/giant is about to rock the women’s cyclocross world
Meet the Liv/giant Brava SLR women’s cyclocross line! Two models, the Brava SLR O and Brava SLR 2 both equally stunning in their own category. Light weight, disc brakes, women’s geometry and colors that I personally find attractive.
Liv/giant Brava SLR 2 MSRP: $1600
The lightest women’s-specific cyclocross bike—and the only one with disc brakes—is all about performance and versatility. You can race it during cyclocross season, commute with it in all kinds of conditions, or use it for long rides on mixed terrain. The lightweight, responsive ALUXX SLR alloy frame features an OverDrive 2 steerer tube for stiff, responsive steering and a toptube that’s shaped for shouldering comfort. A D-Fuse SL composite seatpost provides compliance over rough terrain. Additional performance-minded features include disc brakes, a 15mm thru-axle for enhanced handling precision, and smooth, clean internal cable routing. – Liv/Giant
Liv/giant Brava SLR 0 MSRP: $4800
The lightest women’s-specific cyclocross bike—and the only one with disc brakes—is all about performance and versatility. The lightweight, responsive ALUXX SLR alloy frame features an OverDrive 2 steerer tube for stiff, responsive steering and a toptube that’s shaped for shouldering comfort. A D-Fuse SL composite seatpost provides compliance over rough terrain. Additional performance-minded features include disc brakes, a 15mm thru-axle for enhanced handling precision, and smooth, clean internal cable routing. -Liv/giant
Sizing/Geometry of the Brava SLR Women’s Cyclocross Bikes
I suggest to be familiar with the geometry of these bikes before test riding. Traditionally I ride a 55/56cm which normally equals a Large in women’s bikes, but looking at top tube lengths I will fit a medium. Everything else in the geometry looks straight forward, and should fit many short torso’d women very well. This part (other than pricing and spec) was one of the main reasons I was so giddy reading the press release! Hopefully I’ll be able to swing a leg over one of these bikes to give you a full report on handling and sizing.
It’s not really a Bike Shop Girl edition, but fitting that soon after I posted that the Vesta is one of my top 3 saddle they released information on a black and pink version for a limited time only!
While I realize the below product may not be that new from Banjo Brothers, it is awesome product that I haven’t talked about yet. Look for many of the mentioned products in Bike Shop Girl reviews over the coming weeks as a box of bag goodness showed up earlier this week from Banjo Brothers!
Metro BackPack $74.99
- Available in Black, White and Red
- 18 oz vinyl tarp material (for easier cleaning) with hanging liner for excellent water resistance
- Full width wicking back pad
- 12 interior and exterior pockets
- Padded laptop pocket fits up to 10″ x 15″ notebooks
- Cell phone holster included
- Front and rear reflective tape and webbing tab for safety light
- 16″H x 11″L x 6.5″W / 1100 cubic inches
- Click for Product Page
Canvas Waterproof Commuter Backpack $99.99
- Fully-waterproof replaceable liner
- 20-oz heavy-duty canvas construction
- Water repellent dry-wax finish
- 1500 cu in.
- Click for Product Page
Frame Packs $32.99-34.99
- Efficient gear carrying frame bag
- Ballistic nylon
- Waterproof Zippers
- Zipper-pull Garage
- Two Pockets – one full size and one flat pocket for smaller items
- Med Size fits 70-oz hydration bladder
- 01064 (medium) is 15.5″L x 5.75″ H x 2″W and 01063 (small) 14.75″ L x 4.25″ H 1.75″W
- Click for Product Page
Top Tube Bag $14.99
- 41 cubic inches (6.25″ L x 2″ W x 3.25″ H)
- 840 denier nylon fabric with padded and lined interior
- Rubber-backed frame straps are secure and gentle on bike’s finish
- Interior key clip and reflective piping
- Clear flap helps keep your stuff dry and allows full view of contents
- Plenty of room for race tools/food, or camera, phone, etc.
- Click for Product Page
Jersey Pocket Cycling Wallet $5.99
- Waterproof fabric
- Full length zipper
- Fits phones up to 2.75×5.75 inches
- Click for Product Page
Giant has released to the wild three models of a new women’s 27.5″ mountain bike called the Tempt. Available in the 0, 2 & 5, look for full spec and pricing shortly. For now you can find below why Giant went with the in between wheel size for their new line.
Three key characteristics of 27.5 technology:
1. Lighter weight
- 27.5-inch wheels are only 5 percent heavier than 26. By comparison, 29-inch wheels are 11 percent heavier than 26-inch.
- Overall weights of 27.5 bikes also trend closer to 26 than heavier 29 versions of the same series.
2. More Efficient
- 27.5-inch wheels accelerate much like 26, outperforming 29-inch wheels.
- 27.5-inch wheels roll over obstacles with much more control than 26. That translates into more efficient cornering, acceleration and braking capabilities.
3. Better Control
- The larger the diameter of a wheel, the greater the contact patch of the tire. A larger contact patch results in better traction—which improves acceleration, deceleration and cornering. 27.5-inch wheels provide a contact patch that is similar to 29-inch wheels.
- The larger the wheel, the larger the frame dimensions must be—and that leads to unwanted flex. A flexing frame causes sloppy handling and slower acceleration under heavy power. A 27.5 frame flexes less than a 29 frame, resulting in better control.
I wasn’t completely sold on the idea of this mount but my rockstar girlfriend has debated with me over coffee that this design is very thought out and will benefit many people. Not so secretly, they had me at bottle opener.
Our phones help us navigate and train. They’re our cameras, our lights, and our emergency link home. So why don’t we use them with our bikes?
The Handleband is a simple tool that brings to light the untapped potential of our smartphones. It offers a simple, elegant and universal means of uniting your smartphone with your bicycle.
Here are a few things that make it unique:
- (1) In use, it is smaller than a deck of cards.
- (2) It is removable (so its doesn’t clutter your ride)
- (3) It works with any phone, bike and case.
- (4) It is simple and robust. (One reinforced unit)
- (5) It holds a lot (flashlights, pumps, diplomatic flags)
- (6) It is a bottle opener.
A couple years ago I did a full review of the Raleigh RX 1.0 women’s cyclocross bike. The articles do get a lot of comments and questions still to date so it is very fitting that Raleigh USA is releasing the 2014 images and spec early!
The spec hasn’t changed too much from years past, the colors may appeal to more of a racer than the while but the mounts are still available for racks and fenders to make this into the commuter machine if needed!
What do you think of the new styling?
2014 Raleigh RX 1.0 Women’s Cyclocross Bike Specs
Frame: 6061 Double Butted Alloy, Tapered headtube and seattube, flat oval downtube and seatstay, PF30 BB
The League of American Bicyclists sent out the blurb below about bicycle rider equality.
Bicycling has more than doubled from 1.7 billion trips in 2001 to more than four billion trips in 2009 — and youth, women, and communities of color are playing a key role in shifting transportation demand towards safe, accessible, and equitable bicycling for all. A new report from the League and the Sierra Club, “The New Majority: Pedaling Towards Equity,” showcases analysis and data on the changing face and new leadership in the bike movement nationwide, as well as key challenges and opportunities to advance equity moving forward.
Cafe du Cycliste brings stylish and well fitting clothing to women’s cycling from the South of France.
Cafe du Cycliste is a Côte d’Azur based company started by Andre & Remi. These 2 friends who lived in the South of France, originally set up this authentic brand when they got bored of finding only standardized cycling wear with designs based on professional teams.
Both were keen cyclists and had many friends in the cycling hotspot of the Côte d’Azur. They found that many people shared their views. So they literally got off their bikes and started thinking about what people might prefer to wear.
Their first prototype came out in 2011 and the brand was born. Their focus on quality finishes and the use of high end materials produce beautifully tailored performance and leisure cycling wear, with all round usability maintaining a designer look and feel. The premium product ranges are split into 2 ranges and available for Men and Women.