30 Jul Driving Retail Success: Store Atmosphere Part 1: Take The Sniff Test
Presented by: Bruce Schofield, Retail Services Lead, Pearl iZUMi
Having unpleasant odors, is one of the quickest ways to get your customers to leave your store. So what can you do, and how do you know if your store smells?
Here are a few things to consider to keep your store odors in check.
- Check in with your some of your better customers ask them if your store smells, if you get a yes you need to address it now!
- The ideal smell is a scent that is just under your perception, consider using a aroma service to get it right.
- Rubber is part of the cycling industry, however the smell can overpower a stores atmosphere. Try keeping the bulk of your repair and replacement rubber out of the retail area.
- If you sell wetsuits, try using an auto air-freshener hung right with the wetsuits.
- Keep personal food items off the selling floor and put the waste in the trash outside as soon as possible.
- Vacuum your floor and dust on regular basis, make sure the bag in the vacuum is changed regularly.
- Take the sniff test on a regular basis, if you have a female staff member use her for the test. I have been told that women can detect smells better the men.
Sign up for these weekly tips by sending Bruce an email at: brsignup at pearlizumi.com for Pearl iZUMi’s DRS Tip of the week and receive merchandising tips to help you improve your retail presentation and sell more.