Released: Giant Tempt 27.5 Women’s Mountain Bikes
Giant has released to the wild three models of a new women’s 27.5″ mountain bike called the Tempt. Available in the 0, 2 & 5, look for full spec and pricing shortly. For now you can find below why Giant went with the in between wheel size for their new line.
Three key characteristics of 27.5 technology:
1. Lighter weight
- 27.5-inch wheels are only 5 percent heavier than 26. By comparison, 29-inch wheels are 11 percent heavier than 26-inch.
- Overall weights of 27.5 bikes also trend closer to 26 than heavier 29 versions of the same series.
2. More Efficient
- 27.5-inch wheels accelerate much like 26, outperforming 29-inch wheels.
- 27.5-inch wheels roll over obstacles with much more control than 26. That translates into more efficient cornering, acceleration and braking capabilities.
3. Better Control
- The larger the diameter of a wheel, the greater the contact patch of the tire. A larger contact patch results in better traction—which improves acceleration, deceleration and cornering. 27.5-inch wheels provide a contact patch that is similar to 29-inch wheels.
- The larger the wheel, the larger the frame dimensions must be—and that leads to unwanted flex. A flexing frame causes sloppy handling and slower acceleration under heavy power. A 27.5 frame flexes less than a 29 frame, resulting in better control.