Keep up to date with the Bike Shop Girl coverage of the 2012 Interbike Trade Show with coverage, previews, exclusives and interviews.
This Fall, KEEN launches the Harvest III Series - a one-of-a-kind collection, made in the USA from pre-consumer automobile airbags.
Harvest III Series is available in three bags and two wallet styles, including: Harvest III Backpack $120.00
Side impact bags have been collected, over-dyed for rich saturated color and upcycled into splendid totes, bags and wallets. Each item in the collection is hand-numbered underscoring both its uniqueness and hand craftsmanship.
The Story Behind the Making of Harvest III Bags
The step-by-step process of harvesting and transforming airbags into Harvest III bags requires both creativity and craftsmanship.
1. Left over, excess and obsolete airbags are shipped from an airbag manufacturer to a recycler in Salt Lake City.
2. The side-impact air bags are sorted at this facility and shipped to a factory in Chico, CA. The white bags are put aside to make the white colorways. The remaining bags are dyed and laundered at a dye house.
3. Then, the richly colored airbags are sorted and cut into the bag pattern pieces either by hand using a rotary knife or by die-cut machine.
4. All the pieces to make one specific style are gathered together and given to crafters to complete the product.
5. Once completed, each bag is then hand-numbered and signed by the one of the crafters who built it.