BlogFashion, Style and Clothing

My New Obsession with Hi-Vis Yellow

Maybe it’s being hit by a car. Maybe it’s that cars act very differently when I’m wearing it. Either way I can tell you I am quickly becoming obsessed with hi-vis yellow. As someone nicely told me the other day “hi-vis is the new black.”

Hi-Vis yellow and pink will be sought out and purchased like a life insurance claim.

Castelli Radiation Jacket (Review coming)

Castelli Radiation Jacket

Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Barrier WxB Shoe Covers (Review coming)

Pearl Izumi Pro Barrier Shoe Covers

Lazer Helium Helmet (Soon to be purchased when they are available)

Lazer Helium Flash Yellow

Previous post

First Ever National Women Cycling Forum

Next post

Frostbike Introduction

1. 16 Feb ’12 at 9:33 am — Reply

I agree! Being highly visible is something you NEED to be on the road. We always recommend running very bright LEDs on your bicycles as well even during the day.

If you just can’t stand neon yellow (my Panniers and Messenger Bag are that color), think of a neon green or bright red. Just be sure whatever hi-Vis color gear you choose has reflective piping on it as these colors are not readily seen at night.

2. Scott
    17 Feb ’12 at 8:12 pm — Reply

As a commuter I am biased. I know the “Hi Viz” gear helps keep me safter. I often have worn extra layers so that I can still wear my Pearl Izumi “Hi Viz” jacket that is really thin for winter. Better that it has several reflective bands on it which makes it even better “for you to see me with”.

Now that HELMET, WOW I thought I liked my Rudy helmet but that Lazer is nice and I really like the carbon fiber weave look between the popp’n color.

Now I am still looking for a jacket I’ve seen once. It is black but is HIGHLY REFLECTIVE.

You should be seen. And with the “Hi Viz” it not so much about being seen but BEING SEEN.

3. Andy
    20 Feb ’12 at 7:11 pm — Reply

I am completely baffled by the popularity of black cycling gear. Black pants, black jackets, black helmets are everywhere, both in the stores and on the street.

4. 20 Feb ’12 at 9:31 pm — Reply

Ah love this topic! so close to my heart :) And great comments coming out. Just wanted to share this…

I’m a Sydney cyclist & my thru my business monkeysee.net.au have been working on FASHIONABLE HI-VIS/REFLECTIVE GEAR for cyclists for some time now.

We recently launched a harness that is effective, easy & comfy to wear.
    It comes in FLURO YELLOW & FLURO ORANGE (Fluro pink on the way) as well as non fluro – all harnesses have 2 x high intensity reflective strips for after dark.
    As said above the BEST OPTION is HIS VIS & REFLECTIVE :)

Anyways, I’m getting great response, one thing people especially love is that you can wear the harness over anything!

Check it out for yourself. I’m happy to offer Bike Shop Girls a discount to try it!

5. Donna
    15 Mar ’12 at 12:13 pm — Reply

Please update when that helmet is available so my dad will stop sending me swatches of 3M retroreflective tape he finds on ebay…

• 16 Mar ’12 at 11:11 am

The helmets should be available now through your local Lazer (or any bike shop) they can order them through QBP!

6. Carlos
    21 Apr ’12 at 10:38 pm — Reply

Wow! Tell us more sbou the Castelli radiation jacket, I’ve never seen it in high viz yellow!!