Front Rack Top Bag Roundup

Recently, a 2011 Salsa Casseroll showed up for review. With this comes a cute little blue front rack that needs a rack top bag. I don’t know much about this style of bags so this will be post to keep things sorted as I learn more about availability, features and pricing. Most likely will keep updating it as I find more, please comment if you have something!

Non-Custom Front Rack Top Bags

Zimbale Rack Top Bag

Zimbale Rack Top Bag
Made to fit on a Nitto front rack…the angle of the rear of the bag matches the angle of the upright tab on the rack. Same, consistently high level of construction as all Zimbale bags. Leather used for trim, zipper pulls and attachment straps is very soft and supple. Nice size for the commuter or randonneur.

Racktime Trunkit

Racktime Trunkit Front RackTop Bag

I believe this requires a specific Ractime front rack, but very nifty clip on/off design. It comes in several colors!

Detours Black Transit Box Classic

This is designed to be a rear rack but believe it could fit some larger of the front racks.

Berthoud Frontbag Luxe

Berthoud makes this elegant frontbag of fine heavy cotton and top grade leathers. The outside pockets have leather strap-and-buckle closure. The catch? $327

• Rachel says:

BSG – thanks for this roundup! I, too, just got myself a casseroll and love it, and am looking for the right bag. Velo Orange makes one, but I think the black-with-tan-leather-trim look is too preppy for me, and with the sassiness of the c’roll, I don’t want something sporty either. I hope you’ve found a few more options for us of late!

• Don Hudson says:

Thanks for the bag tips for the Salsa Casseroll. I will be completing a 500 mile Blue Ridge Parkway ride in Sept and am looking for a great bag to put on the front rack. I’m hoping to avoid a full set of panniers.

Thanks, Don

• Bike Hermit says:

Nice overview Bike Shop Girl! Thanks for the link to the Zimbale front bag. Unfortunately we no longer import those but we are looking into having a similar bag made in the US by a current supplier. By the way I.M.O the price of the Berthoud bag is not a “catch” . Just the paradigm of getting what one pays for.

• Don Hudson says:

Hi,

I purchased a Whirlwind bike bag at a local bike shop that worked great on my Salsa rack. It was not too tall, so I also put a Topeak handlebar bag mounted to my handlebars over the rack with the bag on it. I toured for 500 miles with this setup. I have pictures of the bag if someone wants to see it. I tired to paste it in this blog but could not.
      Thanks, Don

• Don Hudson says:

Hi,

Here’s a link to the pictures of the Whirlwind Bike bag mentioned in my previous post regarding a bag for the front rack for a Salsa Casseroll. http://www.flickr.com/photos/40424721@N03/sets/72157634859108603/

Thanks, Don

• Bike Shop Girl says:

Don, thanks for chiming in! I’ve never seen that bag and it looks to be perfect for the Casseroll!