Preview: 2012 Trek Bikes Neko Dual Sport Line

Pretend we are listening to the Superman jingle in the background… “Is it a hybrid? Is it a mountain bike? No! It is a Dual Sport bike!”

Joking aside, the Trek Dual Sport lineup, when it was under the Gary Fisher brand originally, was a huge favorite of stocking bikes when in my shop. It has 29er size wheels, strong enough to take light off roading, but efficient enough for rocking on the road or commuting. For the average person it is the true DO ALL bike. Think of it in line with a cyclocross bike, but for folks on a budget or not wanting drop bars and a leaned over position.

Starting in 2011 Trek brought the Dual Sport to the women’s line. Welcome the 2012 Trek Neko Dual Sport lineup.

2012 Trek Neko $529.99

2012 Trek Neko

21 speeds, double wall (stronger) wheels, and 700x38mm tires. A perfect starter bike. Room for racks, fenders and with a slightly “dropped” top tube, this bike is a great alternative to a hybrid.

2012 Trek Neko S $599.99

2012 Trek Neko S WSD
The same frame as the base model but an extra gear in the back (7 gears to 8), nicer tires, grips, handlebar and most importantly a lock out on the fork. The lock out makes it so you aren’t bouncing up and down on the suspension on the road, and the nicer tires will avoid more flats. The nicer gear system (8 speeds) will last a longer, and the shifters alone are worth the upgrade.

2012 Trek Neko SL $839.99

2012 Trek Neko SL WSD

Still the same frame but they’ve upgraded everything else. 9 gears in the back, pretty industry standard and easy to find if you need replaced. DISC brakes (great for commuting and longevity), much better wheels and an all white saddle. The saddle alone will make you faster, I can guarantee and prove it!

• Dori Pusateri says:

I was wondering if you think the SL is worth the extra $200??… the shop I went to did not have the other models to test ride…. I liked how smooth the ride was, and took a men’s bike with some cheaper components for a ride to try and compare…. but can’t get the SL out of my mind.

• Bike Shop Girl says:

@Dori-

The 9 speed drivetrain is well worth the upgrade. Why? Because 8 speed is going to become even cheaper over the next couple years since component manufacturers are pushing 10 speed.

Better shifting, disc brakes, and stronger wheels. Do it.

• Jill says:

I just tried out Neko S yesterday and I am in love with it. However, my husband said hell no to the price tag. Do you know of a less expensive bike that will give me a similar experience? I’m fairly new to more than occasional bike riding, so I have no idea what to look for! I’m still holding out for the one I want, but I told him I’d look around ;)
    Thanks!

• Dori says:

I did, and totally love the bike!!! @ Jill if you are still looking,,,,, My boyfriend ended up getting a Giant Escape 2 and some days I am jealous of it.

• Amy says:

Was looking at the Neko SL and wondered how it held up to off roading. Want to go geocaching on trails and do city riding as well. Any thoughts, most reviews talk about lite off roading and I think the areas we go in are a little more rugged? Thanks for your input want to make certain to make the correct decision.

• Will it be a good ride on gravel tracks and pebble pathways? I’m not after a mountain bike but country trails are more the thing? I don’t know what bike to get!
    It’ll be my first bike since I was a kid.
    ANy suggestions (was just looking at the Marin Stinson…..)
    Thanks

• Bike Shop Girl says:

Tessa.. the neko is intended for what you want to use it for. Not mountain biking. Get riding girl!

• YIONNE says:

I have the neko SL 2012…although i begged my husband not to buy it, because its expensive.. He did & i love it…best bike ever..

• Manda says:

I love my Nemo SL. Just took if for a 5.5 mile ride today. Some pavement riding, some trail riding. My favorite parts are the disc brakes and locking front fork. It was a little pricey to start with, but I intending on riding it until it falls apart. Great for the 3 mile commute to work as well!

• drleah says:

Dear Bike Girl-I am actually writing this from JERUSALEM ISRAEL! Thanks for the great info on your website! I just tried the NEKO S and loved it but think it might be a little small for me-I am 5’9″. I tried the largest one. I have a wrist injury so I need to be sitting as upright as possible to put as little weight as possible on my wrists. I ride on road but there are lots of potholes! Do you think the Neko is big enough for me? And if not, any other suggestions? TIA!