In February I did a preview of the Chrome Mini Messenger that I received for review at no charge from Chrome (yes that is my mandatory disclaimer.) For the past 6 weeks I have been riding, using for work, the gym and even used it as a warm bed for a small baby chihuahua.
Features of the Chrome Mini Messenger
A few key things that really stood out to me, it is about the small details that companies put in their product that stands out the most.
- Extended flap on sides to keep out rain when the bag is closed
- Reflective straps on the back buckles
- Loop for blinky light on tail of bag
- Bottle opener on the buckle
- Several pockets to keep the small things from getting lost in my bag
What the Chrome Mini Messenger Bag Is
The Mini Messenger is perfect for those looking for a slimmer and trimmer messenger bag. It isn’t as bulky or combersome as most messenger bags. The colors I picked stand out, and often is commented about when I take it to business meetings. It has personality without being over the top, and it helps that it is my companies branding colors. The bag comfortable carriers 20-25 lbs with the load spread out over the very padded shoulder strap.
What Fits in the Chrome Mini Messenger Bag
Daily I use the Mini Messenger for transportation back and forth to work. This includes two or three notebooks, a 17″ MacBook Pro, cables and a small camera shoved in a side pocket, many pens, and sometimes a hat or a rain jacket thrown in for safety. It doesn’t carry a ton, it is not a bag to carry the kitchen sink.
Other Random Notes and Dimensions
(Pulled from ChromeBagsStore.com)
Fabric: 1000 denier Cordura outer shell, 18 oz. truck tarp liner
Made In: Chica, CA, USA
Dimensions: 20″ wide, 12″ high, 7″ deep
Personal Downfalls of the Mini Messenger Bag
In no specific order, these are the things that I disliked.
- The cross chest strap sucks for women with boobs. The bag is so small though, I often didn’t use it even when I had a full load doing urban riding.
- I wish it had a top mounted handle for carrying purposes. Yes, I could have asked for the Buran but it didn’t have any pretty stock colors!
- The liner system was something that took me a few days to figure out. Essentially the interior bag is suspended over the exterior bag. It is fully water proof because of this, but I had lost a couple documents in the bottom of the bag not knowing that it wasn’t closed off. No fears, I found them and I’m smarter for the experience.
Final Thoughts and Review of the Chrome Mini Messenger Bag
The bag was pleasantly comfortable to ride in, even with a rigid laptop on the back. It was very water proof, even in down pour for 45 minutes I never had any wet documents or electronics (thank god.) The colors are completely me and I’m glad I picked out the bright colors. As I said above, I don’t use the chest strap that often due to it not fitting well with my chest, but that didn’t cause any problems during riding or transporting a full bag.
I would recommend this bag, but making sure you know it won’t fit the kitchen sink. It is for a change of clothes OR a laptop and notebooks, not both. It will be perfect for someone that needs to carry clothes to work and change, or goto the gym (a yoga mat was held very nicely under the flap.) Beware during the summer heat you will get a sweaty back with this heavy duty material.
Buy your own Chrome Mini Messenger Bag at the Chrome Bag Store. Make sure they know Bike Shop Girl sent you!