Top 5 Online Resources for Women
When I created Bike Shop Girl a few months back it was mainly out of frustration for the lack of information that is readily available for women. The basics are out there, but you have to be a Google Jedi Master to find the right answers, and often you are left with half-assed ones that only confuse you more. My goal for this site has always been to be a resource, and maybe a place I have a rant or two but that isn’t the point.
Though limited, here are some of my favorite online resources. Some of these resources are targeted towards women, others are targeted towards cyclist in general but have great knowledge within their .com walls.
- Team Estrogen – A full range of forums for women. The forums aren’t very strict so often guys will be able to search/post if they need. Keep private information just that, private.
- Bike Forums - The moderators will keep tabs on you, and after a few months of them knowing you are “female” they will allow you in their private “women only” section of the site. This is my used forum online for resources, I used to post often but now use it mainly for its search function.
- RideMonkey - A mountain bike oriented forum and online community. This is another forum that you’ll have to request to become part of their “women only” section.
How To Advice
- Blue Collar MTB – One of the original sites I wrote for online. It is no longer active, but a great resource for how to do things on the cheap. Long term if there is interest in this type of maintenance I maybe persuaded to start writing for it again.
- Park Tool - The leader in bike specific tools, this company also has invested in teaching others. Check out their how to’s broken down by bike part.
What sites do you frequent or recommend? Turn us on to other blogs or sites that have helped you become a stronger cyclist. Better yet, how can Bike Shop Girl become a better resource for you