Previous post

Riding with Your Menstrual Cycle : Guys Beware

Next post

Winter Clothing Essentials

1. D'Andrea
    1 Nov ’09 at 5:04 pm — Reply

Got some insider info that Rapha was going to start a women’s line. Have you heard anything? Their stuff is so $$ but so nice. It would be worth the investment.

• 1 Nov ’09 at 5:34 pm

I also love Rapha but could never afford it on my bike shop salary. I do take donations!

2. jj
    1 Nov ’09 at 7:48 pm — Reply

Here’s how I stay toasty warm (granted I live in Portland, so it doesn’t get *freezing* all that often, just wet).

Ibex leg warmers under Terry knickers, Swiftwick wool socks, Ibex arm warmers and vintage wool jersey, Ibex gaiter for my neck if it’s really cold. DeFeet merino wool gloves. Smartwool headband under Rainy Peak or Deller wool cap. If it’s raining, I borrow my husband’s Showers Pass jacket (one of my own is high on my Christmas list) or his Rapha winter jersey (also high on my “want” list if/when they come out with a womens’ version). Sugoi shoe covers if it’s wet out.

There’s honestly not a thing I’d change about any of those items. I do want to add a vest to my cycling apparel, to have an extra core layer when a full jacket isn’t needed.

3. 2 Nov ’09 at 7:14 am — Reply

The stuff that I favor for riding in winter (I’m in NJ) is largely clothing meant for snowboarding or skiing. Terrific windproof jackets (Snozu) and wetproof/windproof (Zeroxposur). They aren’t anything fancy (found one at a garage sale). They weren’t expensive (found the other at Marshall’s). Fleece-lined vest underneath if it’s hovering around freezing. They work better for cycling than anything else I’ve had.

I could use a new pair of waterproof hikers. My old ones stopped fitting when I had a kid. Oh, and zip-off waterproof pants. I ride through the swamps often. Major mud.

4. bathory
    11 Nov ’09 at 5:19 am — Reply

I have a fine jersey circle scarf from american apparel that I wrap around my head twice like a hood overtop of a knit headband thingey that I made that goes over my ears (and under my dreads!)

Both fit beautifully under my helmet and the straps keep the hood close to my face to prevent it puffing it out or catching wind. The circle scarf also keeps my neckular area warm.

5. annahuds09
    21 Dec ’09 at 10:31 pm — Reply

I am also using Rapha clothing , and these are very beautiful.
    Rapha is famous to create and develop the best performing and most stylish cycling clothes and accessories in the world .

6. 24 Oct ’10 at 1:22 am — Reply

leg warmers will be more useful in the coming winter months, i gotta grab one on the local store..`

7. Adam
    16 Jan ’12 at 1:06 pm — Reply

This is very good work. You have done a lot of homework on this topic and it certainly shows in the way you have represented your material. I enjoyed this article and appreciate your viewpoints.

8. karen
    19 Jan ’12 at 7:44 pm — Reply

in Minnesota it’s all about layers; the temperature can change 30 degrees in a matter of hours. Today the temps were below zero with a windchill also below zero brrr.
    I started with Borah tights (I don’t wear bike shorts) with Chilli’s long underwear covered with a pair of Endura riding pants. WSI elite gear (local company) long sleeve shirt, Under Armor long sleeve shirt, Northface liner jacket, REI windbreaker, Sugoi vest. Wool blend socks from Fleetfarm. Lambs wool lined leather mittens with fleece glove liners. Castelli balclava. Pearl Izumi skull cap stretched over my helmet. Foot warmers in the toes of my shoes and hand warmers in my mittens and I was ready to roll. I would like to find a better face mask and riding shoes.

9. HanaPipers