My first sprint triathlon is this coming Sunday. If un-prepared is part of the training regimen I am right on course for an awesome first tri! Sure I had goals and plans of doing the whole 8 weeks to your first sprint tri but life, work and excuses got in the way. The one small advantage I have is the fact I work with 3 elite-level triathlon who have a bounty of knowledge.
Here’s some quick tips from the experts to keep in mind if you are doing your first triathlon this weekend and failed to train what so ever.
- Fuel on the bike as best as possible. Put your gels and hydration all on the bike so you aren’t carrying it on the run
- Set up your transition area as you will be using the equipment
- Apply Bodyglide (or vaseline) inside your shoes at the heel and inside tongue so not to get blisters
- Put lots of baby powder inside your shoes
- Place your race number belt inside your shoes too, so you don’t forget it
- Figure out what proper gear to have your bike in. For example there is a huge hill after my run/bike transition so I want to have it in an easy gear.
Finally I have done a little web research of my own and found this handy little chart of where to put all my stuff in transition, also a tip to have a water bottle to wash off my feet after the swim/run.